Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother, My Friend

"There's nothing new under the sun." There's great encouragement in that truth, especially for young moms. As I look back over these pictures of my own dear mother doing for me what I'm attempting to do for my children, I see that, really, nothing has changed (except those diapers, of course). There is no invention, no super-duper deluxe machine that can replace or outdo what the touch of a mother's hand can do. And I am the wonder-filled child of a Mom who was excellent in all she did for me. What beautiful (high-heeled) shoes to fill! I thank the Lord for you, Mom. And I love you very much.

This was taken this past Christmas (2008). We're still the same Mom and Daughter...with a few more gray hairs. And we're knit together at heart.

There are so many things about Mom in this picture that haven't changed a bit over the years. She's still gorgeous, paints her nails, loves plants, and has stunning taste in furniture and decor (notice the number of textures in this room alone).


And we still love to have a hot cup of coffee together! Notice the candles; Mom still has her house filled with yummy-smelling candles.

I don't know how long it took to set this tea party up or how long it took to clean it up. But you'd never know it was ever an issue with this smile on her face. I wonder what was in that tea!

Mom, Steph and Chelle about 1976. I don't know if I was yawning or talking. Probably talking.

Chelle and I will debate about whose birthday it is, but since this is my blog, I will say it was my 2nd birthday. Of course, my mother made beautiful cakes...and made every celebration beautiful. She's beautiful, isn't she?

Of course, Mother's Day wouldn't be commemorated accurately if we didn't show the behind-the-scene work. Your labor wasn't in vain!

Something else that my mother has always done with excellence: food. I wish I'd inherited that gene. Every day, 3 times a day, she would prepare and feed me...and clean up my messes. That's TRUE love.

It's hard to tell which one screams louder: the baby or the couch. I actually love that ol' couch.

This was Mom at my baby shower. I had actually already been born, so I got to attend with her and get passed around to all the ladies. I think I still have some of the gifts that were given to us that day.

1 comment:

Mom said...

My Daughter, My Friend,
What a tribute and I thank you!
With each photo I stopped and looked intently at your sweet little face, the face I so many times wiped clean and kissed or left spotted with juice and still kissed. Oh, the memories! Oh, the sweet, sweet memories!
Thank you, honey, for all the work and especially the words included in this tribute on Mother's Day 2009.
We have come a long way together, have we not? It has been quite the ride, but I would not give it up for the world.
Sweetheart, again, thank you for your love and your godliness that motivates me daily.
I love you!
Mom